Vibrant yet laid-back, Matemwe Lodge has perfected the tropical island experience.
Perched on an outcrop overlooking a shallow, coral-fringed lagoon on the quiet northeastern coast of Zanzibar Island, Matemwe Lodge’s blissful location and famously relaxed atmosphere make it the ideal place to unwind. Whether you take a break in a hammock or dive the depths of the Indian Ocean, Matemwe Lodge provides an unbeatable island escape.
Built using local materials and surrounded by beautiful lush gardens, each of the 12 chalets at Matemwe Lodge has a private veranda with hammock and sofa, where you can relax and take in the spectacular views of the sparkling Indian Ocean.
Your days at Matemwe can be spent sitting poolside and sipping on cocktails, or they could have a more adventurous flavour. You might be interested in going for a snorkel or walking through Stone Town: it all depends on what you’re looking for!
Matemwe, at a glance
- Just 12 thatched bungalows looking over the Indian Ocean with private verandas, couches and hammocks
- Large baths and hot tubs
- Exceptional cuisine with local produce and fresh seafood
- Extensive tropical gardens
- Close to local fishing village in the north east of Zanzibar
For leisure and pleasure
- Two swimming pool
- Matemwe spa treatments plus massage, facials and henna tattooing
- Coral reef diving and snorkelling off Mnemba Atoll opposite
- Reef walks
- Wind surfing and kayaking
- Excursions to local villages, historic Stone Town, Jozani Forest and Prison Island
- Spice tours