An upscale safari lodge decked out in contemporary African decor, Matetsi enjoys a secluded location on a private 15km stretch of Zambezi River.
Unlike the classic canvas tent, Matetsi’s interiors are sleek and modern with the use of stone, wood and copper materials alongside contemporary African furnishings and custom work by local artisans. Rooms, including dedicated family suites, are exceptionally spacious and luxuriously appointed with four-poster beds, stone double basins and private swimming pools framed by day beds and a river-facing deck. The food at the lodge is excellent, with a kitchen led by two of the country’s finest chefs.
The property itself is set within a 55,000-hectare private concession on the fringes of Zambezi National Park, a wildlife haven made up of ancient acacia woodland, giant baobabs and sweeping grassland. Guests have the choice of an impressive range of activities right on their doorstep, from game drives and walking safaris to birdwatching, boat trips and fishing.
Matetsi’s proximity to the mighty Victoria Falls also makes for convenient excursions to this natural wonder - including guided walking tours, bungee jumping off the Victoria Falls Bridge and thrilling helicopter flights over the cascades.
Matetsi, at a glance
- Award-winning, family-owned safari lodge set on the banks of the Zambezi
- Located just 40km upriver from the Victoria Falls, on the 55,000-hectare Matetsi Private Game Reserve
- The property is made up of two camps, west and east-facing, with nine air-conditioned suites each
- Each camp has its own communal lodge, bar and dining areas, with amenities that include king beds, large bathtubs, indoor/outdoor rain showers and private plunge pools with beautiful river views
- The four-bedroomed Private Villa offers an exclusive stay for families or friends with its own private chef, butler, tracker and safari vehicle
- Luxury Family Suites have a master suite and children’s room connected by an enclosed passageway
- Indoor and alfresco dining overlooking the Zambezi’s waters
For leisure and pleasure
- Daily game drives and walking safaris with experienced, conservation-minded guides
- Boat cruises and canoeing excursions on the Zambezi River
- Birdwatching and amateur/professional fishing
- Victoria Falls experiences include guided tours, helicopter flights, white-water rafting, bungee jumping, zip lining and horseback safaris
- Fitness studio and massage sala
- Enjoy a swim in the 20-metre lap pool adjacent to the river
- Luxurious spa treatments featuring all-natural Africology products and inspired by traditional African healing traditions
- Private wine cellar decorated with vintage toys and African artefacts collected by the owner since he was a child