Originally sailing for the Royal Dutch Navy, the Plancius was completely transformed by Oceanwide Expeditions into a 108-passenger vessel offering remarkable voyages to the Arctic and Antarctica.
Expeditions aboard Plancius are focused on exploring the polar regions as much as possible, and as such their travel programmes feature plenty of time spent ashore. The experience on board, whilst not necessarily luxurious, is comfortable and complemented by a professional and attentive service from the crew. During your journey you can expect to enjoy a variety of activities, from kayaking and trekking to diving and snowshoeing.
The 53 cabins are simple in style and come complete with ensuite facilities. À la carte dinners are served in the main restaurant, whilst you can also enjoy snacks, tea and coffee all day at the bar. The large open deck spaces are perfect for wandering around and taking in the wonderful scenery and wildlife. For the best views head to the observation lounge on deck five where you can drink in the spectacular passing landscapes through oversized windows.
Plancius, at a glance
- Small ice-strengthened vessel specially built for oceanographic voyages
- Originally built in 1976 but completely redesigned by Oceanwide expeditions in 2009
- Carries 108 passengers in 52 cabins, all with private toilets and showers
- Spacious observation lounge (and bar) with large windows offering a full panoramic view
- Large open deck spaces
- Encounter wonderful polar wildlife including whales, penguins, seals and numerous seabirds
- 10 zodiacs and two gangways ensure easy transitions during land excursions
- A diesel-electric propulsion system minimises the noise and vibrations from the vessel
- Experienced on board expedition team
- Daily landings and activities that include trekking, kayaking, diving, photography and snowshoeing
Where will Plancius take you?
- Antarctica Peninsula
- Antarctic Circle
- Falkland Islands
- South Georgia
- South Orkney Islands
- South Shetland Islands
- Tristan da Cunha
- Weddell Sea
- St Helena
- Cape Verde