Will you stay in a peaceful, cedar clad, three bedroom cottage amidst exotic birdsong? Or one of three guest rooms in a rustic lodge, surrounded by tranquil gardens?
The decision, of course, is entirely yours. But it’s the sort of pleasing dilemma that can raise its head when you’re considering reserving at River Birches, as part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to New Zealand. The other questions are equally as tantalising, and as pleasant to contemplate. Will you spend lazy days fly fishing for trout in the teeming, crystal waters of the renowned Tongariro River. Or will you venture into the nearby Tongariro National Park with its scenically spectacular Tongariro Crossing and its exhilarating winter skiing on Mount Raupehu? Again, the choice is yours, but wherever fancy takes you, at the end of the day you’ll be able to return to your cosy cottage, or lodge, and relax in peace before tucking into a sumptuous dinner.
River Birches, at a glance
- Rustic, tranquil cottage or lodge accommodation, within a few steps of the Tongariro River
- The Lodge offers three spacious guest rooms with super-sized beds, en suite bathrooms with generous baths and separate showers, great garden views and state-of-the-art entertainment systems and connectivity
- The cedar clad cottage offers self-catering to a sophisticated standard, with three bedrooms with showers or bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen and underfloor heating
For leisure and pleasure
- Incomparable fly fishing on a crystal clear river
- Great bird watching with species including the keruru and the morepork – New Zealand’s native owl
- Close to the great Tongariro Crossing hike
- Walking with an experienced mountain guide
- Sunrise visits to the Red Crater
- Fishing expeditions, white water rafting and kayaking
- Hiking through scenic bush country on both sides of the Tongariro River