From a private mansion built in 1889, Pen-y-bryn has been transformed into a magnificent boutique hotel combining the atmosphere of the past with the luxury of the present day.
Welsh for ‘Top of the Hill’ Pen-y-bryn offers you commanding views over the beautiful countryside that surrounds Oamaru. But that is only one way this perfectly proportioned New Zealand lodge makes excellent use of its setting. You’ll find – to your delight – that the first class restaurant presents fine cuisine created from produce grown in the hotel’s gardens or carefully selected from nearby farms. Or caught by local fishermen. Then there are the tours of the region.
Spend time at Pen-y-bryn on your luxury, tailor-made holiday to New Zealand and you’ll be able to explore historic Oamaru with a knowledgeable, enthusiastic guide. You’ll be able to cycle to the Waianakarua River, sample New Zealand’s most picturesque bike trail, take kayak expeditions and go on air safaris and wildlife adventures.
Pen-y-bryn Lodge, at a glance
- Welcoming boutique lodge created from an authentic Victorian mansion
- Within easy reach of the town of Oamaru
- Choice of guest rooms individually themed in a variety of styles
- All with en suite bathrooms typically offering underfloor heating and separate baths and showers
- Period furnishings and décor
- Expect hardwood floors, rustic stone walls, spacious beds and cosy rugs
- Elizabeth and Victoria guest rooms have definite antique charm
- Excellent restaurant serving gourmet cuisine based on home-grown and local produce, plus meats and seafood from sustainable producers
For leisure and pleasure
- Excellent gateway for seeing Oamaru, Kakanui and the Waitaki District
- Guided walking tours of the distinctive historic centre of Oamaru
- Cycling trips to the mouth of the Waianakarua River
- Guided drives to Ngapara and Elephant Rocks
- Day tours along NZ’s most scenic bike trail
- Wildlife kayaking expeditions
- See yellow-eyed penguins, fur seals and more at Moeraki Lighthouse
- Drive the Waitaki Loop for heritage and stunning landscapes
- Air safaris over the Macraes Gold Fields, Mount Cook and North Otago
- Deep sea and fly fishing