If you want to discover the ‘real’ Cuba, now is the time. The eastern corner of the island is untouched by mass tourism.
There is something delicious about being foreign. So, whereas you won’t exactly be the first tourists to venture into the charming cobbled streets of Baracoa, you will be amongst the very few. And you will be received with genuine warmth by the local people as you wander past gaily painted bungalows and colonial-style homes with elegant verandas. Expect sample plenty of the locally-made white chocolate that’s sold wrapped in palm bark.
And then it’s time to indulge in some lazing in the sun on the beach beside the gentle Caribbean, in the Cuchillas del Toa biosphere. If you’ve specified Villa Maguana as part of your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Cuba you’ll experience soft sea breezes, rustling overhead palms and tropical grounds filled with birdsong.
Villa Maguana, at a glance
- Intimate, beachside resort set in a private cove, backed by majestic mountains
- Just 20 km from Baracoa City
- Choice accomodation built from wood to merge with the surrounding gardens
- Some rooms face the sea, the others enjoy garden settings
- Dark wood furniture with vivid red and yellow décor
- Air conditioning and satellite TV
- Excellent restaurant specialising in fresh grilled food, plus café and friendly bar
For leisure and pleasure
- Good selection of water sports and beach activities
- Discover the flora and fauna of the Cuchillas del Toa biosphere
- Superb bird watching
- Explore the Toa River aboard a traditional cayuca boat
- Visit the beautiful landscapes and natural wonders of Bahia de Taco
- See manati – rare herbivorous aquatic mammals – in a nearby refuge
- Trips to the unchanging colonial town of Baracoa
- Climbing and expeditions to the table-topped mountain of El Yunque
- Games room