Spend an hour or so exploring the picturesque church of San Jose el Viejo – its Baroque façade showing the ruinous work of past earthquakes. Then take a stroll north – and a little east – past the faded but extremely photogenic colonial buildings and monumental architecture of old Antigua.
Pause to watch the world go by, and enjoy the shade of the trees of beautiful Central Park. Then continue the pilgrimage that will take you to El Convento, situated opposite the 18th century Capuchin convent on one of Antigua’s most charming cobbled streets.
You’ve arrived at a sanctuary of peace and luxury – El Convento is a haven of brick vaulted ceilings, ancient stone passageways, private gardens and a sun lounge overlooking the quaint, red tiled roofs of the old city.
El Convento, at a glance
- Wonderful central location in a charming, cobbled street
- Choice of just 26 junior, standard and grand suites
- King-sized beds, spacious brick en suites with extra wide showers, hardwood floors, private gardens with cedar-roofed Jacuzzis, are all typical features of the larger suites
- Fine dining in a lovely, brick vaulted restaurant
For leisure and pleasure
- Breakfasting sun terrace overlooking the tiled roofs of Antigua
- Exceptional menu and wine cellar
- Delightful courtyard garden for relaxation
- Superb base for taking city tours of Antigua and expeditions to the three volcanoes surrounding the town
- Minutes from the sights, markets, shops, restaurants and nightlife of this picturesque city