Beautifully nestled into the dreamy, vine-covered hills of Portugal’s’ Douro Valley, Six Senses’ converted 19th-century manor house is an idyllic country retreat.
Looking out over the steeply terraced vineyards towards the meandering Douro River below, Six Sixes Douro Valley finds itself in the midst of a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Here in the world’s oldest wine-producing region, which has produced quality port for the last two thousand years, Six Senses’ dedicated Wine Team are on hand to ensure an immersive experience in the world of Douro wines. Think daily wine tastings, visits to boutique, family-run wine estates and stomping on grapes (an experience only available during harvest time). This is in addition to excursions to prehistoric rock art sites, river cruises, mountain biking and much, much more.
Lovingly renovated and brought up to the highest of luxury standards, the property comprises 60 elegantly-designed rooms and suites, an expansive spa, organic gardens and nature trails. Its restaurants, meanwhile, celebrate the bounty of the valley through fine, regional cuisine.
Six Senses Douro Valley, at a glance
- Luxury 19-acre hilltop resort in the heart of the World Heritage-listed Douro Valley, the world’s oldest demarcated wine region
- Beautiful panoramic views framing the vineyards and Douro River
- 60 rooms, choose from panoramic valley views, spacious suites with floor-to-ceiling windows, private balconies and wooden bridges leading to secret gardens
- Interiors combine Six Senses’ natural style with traditional elements from a bygone era
- Diverse dining experiences all celebrating the region’s fresh produce
- An on-site organic garden of vegetables and herbs
- Protects a 10-acre woodland on the property as part of its commitment to sustaining the environment and old-growth trees
For leisure and pleasure
- A large swimming pool and heated indoor pool with water jets
- River cruising and water sports
- An extensive array of activities including mountain biking, hiking trails, helicopter tours, vineyard visits, wine tastings and cooking classes
- Trips can also be arranged to nearby prehistoric rock art sites in the Coa Valley
- Cosy Wine Library and Terrace featuring vintages from the valley
- 2,200 square metre Six Senses Spa Douro Valley comprising 10 treatment rooms, a large outdoor yoga deck, outdoor pool, refreshment bar and gym
- Quinta Bar and Lounge
- Alchemy Bar
- A newly built padel tennis court, badminton court, table tennis and pétanque