The peaceful riverfront Hotel Des Balances is one of Lucerne’s finest hotels, offering its guests a mix of fabulous views, warm hospitality and elegant, upscale accommodation.
Spectacularly set amidst the snow-capped mountains and beautifully preserved medieval buildings, Hotel Des Balance enjoys a superior location in Lucerne’s old quarter directly on the Reuss River. The city’s top attractions, from the iconic Chapel Bridge to the Lion Monument and 17th century Church of St. Leodegar, are all just a stone’s throw away. A seasonal menu is served in the hotel’s stylish restaurant, featuring local delicacies and a shaded terrace for alfresco dining on the river.
With a history dating back to the 12th century, the property is steeped in historical charm and has hosted everyone from George Bernard Shaw to the Dutch Queen Wilhelmine. All the guestrooms were completely renovated in 2008, bringing a modern touch to the property’s traditional charms. Reminiscent of a Venetian palace, the hotel’s intricately painted facade is one of the most photographed sights in Lucerne.
Hotel Des Balances, at a glance
- A historic, high-end hotel set in the beautiful Old Town of the charming city of Lucerne
- Boasts an excellent location directly on the River Reuss, tucked in amongst a row of 12th century buildings
- Guests are accommodated in 56 tastefully appointed rooms and suites, minimalistic in style with modern amenities
- Warm decor featuring parquet floors, ivory bedding and marble accents
- Some rooms boast whirlpools, steam showers and infrared saunas, whilst most have private river-facing balconies
- The chic on-site Restaurant Balances is a popular spot with locals and guests alike, serving delicious French-Mediterranean cuisine
For leisure and pleasure
- Stay at Hotel Des Balances and have the city’s finest attractions at your feet
- Enjoy exquisite views across the river to the famous Chapel Bridge, Jesuit Church and Mount Pilatus
- Enjoy dining on the alfresco terrace alongside picturesque river views
- Head to the stylish and laidback Bar & Lounge where you can socialise with guests and locals alike over wine, cocktails and aperitifs
- Situated on the same street as some of the city’s finest eateries