The magnificent Galle Face Hotel has held pride of place on Colombo’s picturesque shoreline for the past 150 years.
The Galle Face Hotel, a national icon, has retained all of its grandeur from when it first emerged onto the scene in 1864. Despite a full refurbishment in 2015, which brought plenty of modern amenities and luxury touches, the hotel’s interiors remain sympathetic to its original colonial design. During your stay, the hotel’s Expeditions Team can arrange a variety of bespoke excursions to nearby attractions include Kandy, Galle and Sigiriya.
Many of the 156 elegant guestrooms enjoy panoramic ocean views, whilst some have private balconies and whirlpool tubs. When it comes to dining, you have several options. The sophisticated 1864 restaurant showcases fresh Sri Lankan ingredients on its modern menu, whilst The Verandah offers local delicacies in a colonial-style alfresco setting. There’s also a gastropub, a lively cocktail bar and the city’s only saltwater swimming pool. Don’t miss out on a game of croquet on the south lawn, a cherished tradition since the hotel’s opening.
Galle Face Hotel, at a glance
- Grand, 19th-century hotel on the edge of Colombo’s seaside promenade the Galle Face Green
- 156 elegant guestrooms with beautiful Indian Ocean views
- In-room amenities include Wi-Fi, tea/coffee facilities, electronic safety deposit box, satellite LCD TV and fruit selection
- 24-hour in-room dining
- Six restaurants and bars offering a range of cuisine from hearty pub meals to tasty snacks and regional delicacies
For leisure and pleasure
- Beautiful ocean-facing saltwater swimming pool framed by a long terrace
- Spa by L’Occitane
- Basement gym, complimentary to all guests, equipped with state of the art equipment
- Expeditions Team offer bespoke arrangements to nearby sights
- Take a historian-led tour of the hotel’s museum
- Enjoy a game of croquet
- Unwind with the classics, or play a game of chess or backgammon, in the library
- Nearby attractions include the Colombo National Museum, the Gangaramaya Buddhist Temple and Independence Square
- Wine lounge and underground wine cellar