On the banks of the Rio Preguiças and a short distance to the stunning sand dunes of the Lençois Maranhenses National Park is Porto Preguiças.
Porto Preguiças is just outside the small village of Barreirinhas, the entry point to the endless sand dunes of Brazil's windswept north-Atlantic coast.
Located on the banks of the Preguiças River, the 31 room resort is surrounded by verdant forest and has some of the most comfortable rooms in the region.
Although simply styled and decorated, all the rooms have air-conditioning and a small veranda with their own hammock. There are a couple of swimming pools, a games room, fitness centre and it's possible to use the hotel's kayaks to travel along the river. There is also a bar and restaurant.
The Lençois Maranhenses National Park is the star attraction of the area though, and from the hotel it is only a short drive to the sand dunes.
The name comes from the immense expanse of the dunes, which look like lençóis (bedsheets) strewn across the landscape. They stretch 70km along the coast and 50km inland and between May and September are at their most spectacular. Rain water filters through the sand and forms crystal-clear pools and lakes between the dunes. The park also includes many beaches, mangroves and a huge variety of wildlife, including turtles and migratory birds.
Porto Preguiças, at a glance
- Just outside the town of Barreirinhas, the entry point to the Lençois Maranhenses National Park
- Comfortable hotel on the banks of the Preguiças River
- Bar, restaurant and two outdoor swimming pools
- 4 1/2 hours from the main airport of São Luis
For leisure and pleasure
- Explore the stunning landscape of the Lençois Maranhenses National Park
- From May to September, fresh-water pools form in the dunes
- Discover the beaches, mangroves and interesting fauna in the area
- Sand-boarding down the dunes and swimming in the fresh-water pools
- Sunset caipirinhas at the top of the dunes
- Quad-biking on the dunes
- Kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding on the river