A “scattered hotel” occupying the ancient buildings of a medieval Italian village, Sextantio Albergo Diffuso combines rustic simplicity with seamlessly incorporated modern luxuries.
Deep in the central Italian region of Abruzzo, Sextantio Albergo Diffuso offers its guests unique accommodation dispersed throughout the fortified medieval village of Santo Stefano di Sessanio. Painstakingly restored with local materials, the atmospheric rooms feature wonderfully pared-back and historically accurate interiors complete with low wooden ceilings, stone walls, woollen mattresses and working fireplaces. Plus, a handful of very discreet modern touches, including remote-controlled lighting and underfloor heating.
In the rustic dining room, Locanda Sotto gli Archi, you can feast on hearty regional dishes prepared using native produce grown in nearby fields. You can fill your days in the village with a wide range of outdoor activities, from cycling and canoeing to horse riding and guided birdwatching excursions. You can even learn how to use a 16th-century oven on a bread-making class. Retire to the library for afternoon tea, a beautiful room with painted ceilings, where you can look over ancient tomes.
Sextantio Albergo Diffuso, at a glance
- Atmospheric “scattered hotel” set at the heart of a medieval Italian village
- Located in the Gran Sasso e Monti della Laga National Park of the Apennines
- 1,250 metres above sea level with breathtaking mountain views
- Most of the hotel’s buildings date back to the 13th-16th centuries
- 27 minimalist rooms and suites with authentic furniture, traditional handicrafts and textiles from the region
- Showers or freestanding bathtubs
- All modern touches are hidden to retain an authentic feel throughout the property
- Private 16th-century dining room serving Abruzzese cuisine based on native ingredients
- Wine cellar, La Cantinone, offering aperitifs and antipasti
For leisure and pleasure
- Enjoy afternoon tea in the library
- Bread making, cooking, soap making and weaving classes on request
- Explore the surrounding countryside on biking and hiking excursions
- Horseback riding and canoeing are also on the menu
- Take a tour or class about the local culture
- Browse temporary art galleries
- 10km from the mountaintop fortress of Rocca Calascio