If you’re taking a ‘grand tour’ of Italy to absorb its culture and ancient history, where better place to stay than a hotel that was founded in 47 AD?
Here you can literally touch history. Villa del Quar is a National Monument that was built as a mansion in Roman times, possibly making it the world’s oldest operating hotel. It stands on the Roman road of Claudia Augusta and still has its original cellar and a Bifora in Palazzo Dominicale. Many of its features date back 500-600 years and 16th century friezes depict the warrior-clad Minerva with the head of Medusa.
So, if you want to steep yourself in the country’s glorious past, Villa del Quar is a natural choice for your luxury, tailor-made holiday to Italy. It’s even ideally placed for exploring over 40 important UNESCO sites and is only five kilometres from the marvellous old city of Verona. Perfect for history and culture lovers.
Villa del Quar, at a glance
- Historic, luxury hotel open between April and October
- National Monument standing beside the Roman highway of Claudia Augustus
- Choice of 12 double guest rooms and 13 sumptuous suites
- Expect massive ceiling beams, large beds with monumental gilt decorated headboards and canopies, plus antique furnishings and decor
- En suites with stone floors and tiles
- Views over the vineyards and surrounding countryside
- Range of dining options including formal and al fresco restaurants, three neo-classical lounges with superb views and lunch by the pool
For leisure and pleasure
- Large outdoor swimming pool with sun deck and dining area
- Just five kilometres from Roman and mediaeval Verona
- Great access to the galleries and museums of Verona, featuring work by Paolo Veronese, Canaletto, Tintoretto, Tiziana and Salgari
- Perfect for touring Lake Garda, Valpolicella’s Towers of Sighting, Catels Scaligeri, the Caves of Fumane, Vicenza, Mantua and Venice
- Biking and hiking trips through fabulous countryside
- Cookery lessons by a leading chef
- Wine-tasting sessions and appreciation classes