If you want to really experience the medieval city of Mdina, stay at The Xara Palace – its walls form part of the fortress city’s original bastion.
In 1530 the Order of Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem took the already ancient city of Mdina and turned it into a medieval citadel perched high on an imposing hill. You can almost touch the history of the place as you explore its winding alleyways and tiny squares that have hardly changed since the days of the Crusaders.
The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux, of course, is much more modern. It wasn’t built until the 17th century! Originally it was the family palazzo of the Moscati Parisio – and it has lost little of its charm in the transformation into a glorious, five star hotel.
Today the Palace remains steeped in the culture of Malta, and that includes the warmth of its hospitality, the style of its rooms and the authenticity of its cuisine.
The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux, at a glance
- Historic setting at the heart of Mdina
- Choice of just 17 rooms and suites, four with terraces and private Jacuzzis
- Genuine antique furniture and original paintings by Maltese masters
- Stunning views over the countryside or out to sea
- de Mondion fine dining restaurant with panoramic views from the bastion terrace or the Trattoria, for relaxed, alfresco dining
For leisure and pleasure
- Perfect base for exploring Mdina
- Tailor-made sight-seeing tours arranged specifically to suit you
- Organised spa treatments, beauty, massage and fitness sessions
- Mini gym
- Easy access to golf course
- Dine in the old square in Trattoria AD 1530