If you like to venture forth, then retire to a safe haven of peace and serenity – stay in Amangalla, within the ancient fortress of Galle.
Amangalla originated from the sanskrit for ‘peace’, and it is aptly named. If you stay in this imposing, colonial building you will be able to stroll the cobbled streets and tortuous alleyways of a 36-hectare, preserved Dutch fort – itself a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You''ll be able to explore the working port’s tumultuous history, immerse yourself in its markets, bustle and colour. Or even go blue whale watching.
Then retire to the peaceful seclusion of a luxury hotel offering shady terraces overlooking the busy streets, a wonderfully relaxing spa and a period dining room complete with antique silverware and period furniture.
Amangalla, at a glance
- A colonial haven set within the walls of a Dutch fort
- Moments from the welcoming, energetic port of Galle
- 29 guestrooms, chambers and suites appointed in the colonial style
- Splendid city or garden views
- Great Hall, shaded verandas and intimate restaurant specialising in fine local cuisine and sumptuous Sri Lankan curries
For leisure and pleasure
- Close to palm-fringed, golden sand beach
- The Baths - spa with five treatment chambers
- Yoga and meditation in the Garden Pavilion
- Garden swimming pool with shaded ambalamas (rest pavilions)
- Well-stocked library
- Blue whale watching between December and April