Set in Morocco’s “oyster capital”, this charming boutique hotel – and its superb spa – promises you a change of pace from the bustling cities and a supremely tranquil stay by the sea.
The town of Oualidia – famed for its oysters and flamingos – sprawls around a crescent-shaped saltwater lagoon where golden beaches meet brilliant blue waters. The sunsets are magnificent, the waves are perfect for surfing and the temperature is never too hot or too cold. A popular weekend getaway amongst Morocco’s city dwellers, Oualidia is also a wonderful place to recharge at the end, start or middle of your tailor-made holiday.
And where better to base yourself than at La Sultana Oualidia, a luxurious riad with a private beach, infinity pool and seawater Jacuzzis in every room. Framed by magnificent columns and made from carved stone, the spa is a reason in itself to stay with its indoor and outdoor heated pools, Hamman, sauna and massage cabins. When you’re not at the spa you can practice Pilates on the beach, take a surfing lesson, try stand up paddle boarding or trot along the sands on horseback. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, head to the restaurant to indulge in some of the region’s finest seafood.
La Sultana Oualidia, at a glance
- Luxurious Moroccan riad in the village of Oualidia on Morocco’s Atlantic Coast
- 12 rooms and suites with air-conditioning, satellite TVs, iPod docks, free Wi-Fi and marble bathrooms
- The guestrooms have a natural feel with stone and tadelakt walls, marble floors and painted wooden furniture
- Every room has its own private terrace and seawater Jacuzzi
- Restaurant serving fresh seafood specialising in local oysters and lobster, as well as produce from the on-site garden
- Two and half hour drive from Marrakech and two hours from Casablanca
- Member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World
For leisure and pleasure
- Wonderful spa with heated swimming pools, Jacuzzis, a relaxation area, Hammam, hairdressing salon, sauna and fitness room for cardio-training
- Range of massages and beauty treatments
- Great surfing opportunities for both beginners and more advanced surfers
- Visit the town’s oyster beds
- Relax on the private beach
- 40m long infinity pool overlooking the lagoon and surrounded by seawater Jacuzzis
- Outdoor activities include fishing, stand-up paddle boarding, horse riding, bird watching safaris and surfing
- Fabulous sunsets