You may have visited ice hotels in Sweden or tree top canopy suites in remote rainforests. But has anything prepared you for Bolivia’s salt hotel?
The Luna Salada – the Salt Moon – Hotel is one of the most extraordinary ideas in the hotel world. It doesn’t just command a panoramic view over the glittering Salt Flats of Uyuni – it is itself actually built from the blocks of salt mined from its surroundings.
Standing close to the edge of the Flats, just 30 km from the interesting village of Uyuni, the low buildings have white walls – as you might expect, they’re constructed of blocks of salt – topped with rustic thatched roofs. But the big surprise awaits; step inside and you’ll discover floors, tables, chairs, even the king-sized bed in your room is carved from solid salt.
If you’re looking for a truly unique experience, make sure a stay at Luna Salada Hotel is on the itinerary of your tailor-made holiday to Bolivia.
Luna Salada Hotel, at a glance
- A totally original hotel constructed in salt
- Choice of just 23 guest rooms including singles, doubles, triples and family suites
- Floors, furnishings and bed heads carved from salt
- Elegantly simple but extremely comfortable
- Private bathroom facilities
- Dining room with cosy fireplace
- Excellent local and international cuisine – salt optional!
For leisure and pleasure
- Unrivalled base for discovering the Uyuni Salt Flats and exploring the Colchani region
- 4x4 excursions onto the Flats
- Tours of fascinating local towns and villages including picturesque Uyuni
- Seasonal events including hot air ballooning and festivals celebrating local culture