Iwokrama River Lodge is remote and different from ‘normal’ life, a world full of strange creatures and wild rainforest.
Stroll through the treetops – some 30 metres above the forest floor – at the Iwokrama Canopy Walkway and you’ll quickly realise that there are birds more colourful, monkeys more agile and acrobatic and insects more bizarre than you could ever have imagined. You’ll have a different perspective on the forest wildlife, and your binoculars and camera will be working overtime.
Similarly, a boat trip along the Essequibo River, peering through the dense foliage on its banks will reveal a wealth of wildlife and a cacophony of birdsong, monkey shrieks and animal calls – especially at sunset as the nocturnal world comes to life. Immerse yourself in the astonishing Iwokrama Rainforest; make sure your tailor-made holiday to Guyana includes a long stay at Iwokrama River Lodge.
Iwokrama River Lodge, at a glance
- Riverside eco-lodge in the heart of the Iwokrama Rainforest, on the banks of the Essequibo River
- Choice of just eight secluded cabins standing on stilts beside the river, each accommodates up to three adults
- Wrap-around verandas with hammocks and excellent bird watching
- Tented beds and ceiling fans and en suite bathrooms
- Splendid views along the river
- Dining on international and local speciality dishes served in an open air restaurant with great views over the water
For leisure and pleasure
- Rainforest excursions with expert guides
- Jaguar spotting excursions
- Exceptional birdwatching and fascinating educational talks
- Trips to the dramatic Turu Falls, Kurupukari Falls and Amerindian Petroglyphs
- Rainforest and Prince Charles Trails
- Nature cruises along the Essequibo River to observe nocturnal wildlife
- Boat and trekking trips to Turtle Mountain for horizon-to-horizon views of the forest canopy
- Cultural visits to Fairview Village
- Michelle Island visits