If you’re the sort of traveller who doesn’t believe in visiting a city, only to stay on the outskirts and waste valuable vacation time travelling to and fro….you should definitely put El Mercado at the centre of your plans for a luxury, tailor-made holiday to Peru.
This modern boutique hotel is an extremely skilful reworking of the old market building, so you’re assured of its preeminent position at the centre of town. You can also be sure that it still receives large amounts of local produce, which El Mercado’s top chefs now turn into the irresistible range of regional specialities served in its fine restaurant. And after dinner? Retire to your suite and soak in a deep, stand-alone bathtub before the heat of an open fireplace.
Note: El Mercado is owned by Mountain Lodges of Peru, who operate the lodge-to-lodge Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu as well as the Sacred Valley and Lares Adventure.
El Mercado, at a glance
- Superb modern hotel recreated from an original marketplace building
- At the centre of Cusco
- Choice of superior rooms with king-sized beds and designer en suites featuring stand-alone baths
- Open fireplaces
- Suites for up to four people
- Mixture of classic and contemporary design
- Private terraces
- Separate dining/living areas
- Excellent restaurant serving a range of local specialities
For leisure and pleasure
- First class base for sightseeing in Cusco
- Close to the San Pedro Market, Temple of the Sun, Convent of Santo Domingo and the Cusco Planetarium
- Nightlife, theatres, cafés, bars and restaurants all nearby
- Cathedral and various churches easily accessible
- Tours arranged to explore the landscapes of Peru and the magical ruins of Machu Picchu