Spectacularly poised between jungle and the Indian Ocean on Sri Lanka’s southeast coast, the Wild Coast Tented Lodge is a stylish haven on the cusp of the leopard-filled Yala National Park.
Guests are housed in a series of cocoon-shaped tents scattered on the edge of a rugged beach in the shaped of a leopard’s paw - a nod to the area’s most famous resident. Made from canvas and other natural materials, the arched shape of the tents enable them to sit harmoniously with the surrounding rocks and boulders. The decor is a blend of colonial expedition chic and modern amenities, featuring freestanding copper tubs, teak floors, dark leather furnishings, soft rugs and plush four-poster beds. Select tents also enjoy the addition of private plunge pools, whilst several are dotted around watering holes that draw a variety of birds and wildlife.
Two huge bamboo-lined, dome-shaped pavilions house the Ten Tuskers bar and dining room, both of which frame the lodge’s beautiful free-form swimming pool. The menu at the restaurant changes daily, but always features authentic Sri Lankan dishes. The lodge’s proximity to Yala National Park means thrilling encounters with wild leopards, elephants and bears are never far away. Guided bush walks and game drives with naturalist guides offer a fantastic immersive experience.
Between safaris, enjoy getting pampered in the Sanctuary Spa where treatments range from exotic ‘Island Spice Scrubs’ to classic Swedish massages.
Wild Coast Tented Lodge, at a glance
- Chic safari lodge nestled between jungle and beach on the outskirts of Sri Lanka’s renowned Yala National Park
- Accommodation is made up of 28 cocoon-shaped canvas tents with spacious bathrooms, teak floors and canvas walls
- Four beach-facing ‘Pool Cocoons’ offer private plunge pools
- 16 of the tents have outdoor viewing decks overlooking watering holes
- Colonial expedition-style decor featuring copper vanities, copper bathtubs and dark leather furnishings
- Modern amenities include Wi-Fi, sound systems and air-conditioning
- Open-air restaurant where authentic Sri Lankan cuisine is served
- Ten Tuskers bar serves signature cocktails
For leisure and pleasure
- Dine under the stars in the lodge’s scenic natural beach garden
- Enjoy sundowners and picnics on the sand dunes
- Spot leopards and other wildlife on game drives in Yala National Park
- Embark on insightful guided bush walks
- Take privately guided bird-watching excursions in Bundala National Park
- Enjoy afternoon tea in the jungle by a river or waterhole
- Explore the nearby fishing village of Kirinda by bike
- Take a Sri Lankan cuisine cooking class
- Visit the ancient Buddhist monastery of Sithulpawwa or the temple complex of Kataragama
- The Sanctuary Spa offers a menu of soothing treatments and massages
- Cool off between activities in the free-form swimming pool