The Celestine takes all the charms of traditional ryokan-style hospitality – well known throughout Kyoto – and combines it with an elegantly modern design and superb facilities.
Guestrooms are a blend of modern luxury and tatami tradition. Swapping outdoor shoes for wooden-soled slippers on the threshold, you’ll find each of the rooms are spacious, uncluttered and elegantly styled with wooden furniture and neutral colours. Facilities include the Yasaka Endo restaurant, Bar Oumie and a large public bath (onsen) looking out onto the tranquil Japanese garden. Exclusive to hotel guests, the onsen is the perfect place to relax after a day’s sightseeing.
Everything at The Celestine has been tastefully thought of, and Japanese traditions abound. You’ll find charming Kiyomizu-yaki pottery for tea-making, super-soft Imabari towels and traditional yukata robes and purses provided for the onsen. The building itself is wonderfully contemporary with its huge stone-clad lobby, floor-to-ceiling windows and modern furniture.
The Celestine, at a glance
- Contemporary boutique hotel with a superb location at the heart of Gion, Kyoto’s geisha district
- Large glass windows overlooking Japanese gardens
- Total of 157 rooms and suites, each well designed and simply furnished
- Rooms have coffee machines, green tea, Themae bath amenities and plasma TVs
- Yasaka Endo restaurant with private rooms, counter seats and a menu inspired by traditional Kyoto Kaiseki cuisine
- Bar Oumie
- Car park exclusive to hotel guests
For leisure and pleasure
- A guest lounge where you can relax with a book and enjoy coffee, tea and juices free of charge
- Stroll away from the historic Hanami-koji street
- Explore the nearby tea houses, restaurants, shops and temples
- Large shared bath with a contemporary Japanese feel
- Complimentary indoor slippers, bathing baskets and Yukata (traditional Japanese nightwear)
- Shuttle service
- Traditional Maiko dancing