Literal steps from the super soft sands of Balapitiya’s beach, this intimate hideaway offers a truly exclusive stay with just 10 sea-facing rooms.
These are combined with a gorgeous 23 metre infinity pool where you can gaze out over the Indian Ocean, as well as a serene palm-studded garden. It’s the perfect spot for some R&R after an action-packed tour of Sri Lanka, with exquisite sunsets and the water sports hotspot of Bentota within easy reach. If you ever tire of lounging on the beach, the historic treasures of Galle - including its impressive 17th-century fort - are just an hours’ drive away.
The property is made up of just 10 spacious rooms with gorgeous ocean vistas. Open plan and airy, the rooms are adorned with local artwork, wooden furnishings and vibrant splashes of colour. When it comes to dining, you’ll be able to feast on freshly caught local seafood (tiger prawns and seared tuna steak) and tropical fruit on the outdoor timber deck or in the privacy of your room.
Kumu Beach, at a glance
- Contemporary boutique hotel overlooking Balapitiya’s boulder-strewn beach on Sri Lanka’s southwest coast
- 10 ocean-facing guestrooms, most with king sized four poster beds, coir rugs and ensuite bathrooms with pebble-floored showers
- All rooms have either a terrace or balcony offering calming ocean views
- Understated, Sri Lankan style with soothing social spaces and a stylish open-plan layout
- Fresh, inventive dishes served on the timber deck or in the small, air-conditioned bar
- Sister property to The Wallawwa and Fort Bazaar
For leisure and pleasure
- Swim in the beautiful ocean-facing 23 metre infinity pool
- Long timber sundeck with eight comfy sun loungers overlooking the beach
- Enjoy a treatment or two in the spa room
- Enjoy sundowners on the wooden deck or in sunken loungers by the pool
- Large grassy garden with ocean vistas
- Close to the historic town of Galle where you can visit a mighty fort
- Visit the mask museum in Ambalangoda
- Nearby opportunities for windsurfing, jet skiing and fishing