Touted as one of the most beautiful private homes in Kenya, the exclusive-use Arijiju boasts an enviable setting on the Laikipia Plateau.
Inspired by the rock-hewn churches of Ethiopia, this elegant stone-and-timber property sits inconspicuously amidst the rolling hills of northern Kenya. Arijiju can only be rented exclusively, making it the perfect choice for groups of friends or multi-general family holidays. Three rooms lie in the main house and share a lavender-scented courtyard garden, with an additional pair of ‘cottage’ suites.
Blending traditional Kenyan and modern European design, the communal areas include a candle-lit lounge, a dining room with floor-to-ceiling arched windows, a library and even a cinema. All are linked by stone pathways to the infinity pool overlooking a waterhole. Meals are prepared using quality ingredients and can be enjoyed out in the bush or on the sun-drenched deck.
Days are entirely at your leisure, with a 14-strong team of private game rangers, chefs, housekeepers and butlers to cater to your every need. Enjoy bush walks and game drives on the game-rich Borana Conservancy, go horseback riding, fly fishing or practise your swing on the tennis court. Don’t forget to take full advantage of The Retreat – your personal spa sanctuary with its own wood-burning hot tub and vaulted hammam.
Arijiju, at a glance
- Elegant, exclusive-use safari house set on a 90,000-acre private conservancy in northern Kenya
- Overlooking a waterhole frequented by elephant, rhino, cheetah and giraffe
- Built from local Meru stone and timber with stylish grass roofs
- Five suites accommodating a maximum of 10 guests
- Furnishings include king size beds, stone fireplaces and luxurious ensuite facilities
- Impeccable service from a team of 14 professional staff
- Farm-to-table approach to dining
- Dining area boasting two large fireplaces and floor-to-ceiling arched windows
For leisure and pleasure
- Privately guided bushwalks and game drives in search of the Big Five, wild dogs and cheetah
- Horse riding, mountain biking, quad biking and fly fishing
- Candle-lit lounge, library and bar area
- Spa house offering tranquil treatment rooms and a hot tub
- Yoga studio, clay tennis court and squash courts
- 25-metre infinity lap pool
- Running trails leading through the bush